Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Eating Healthy On The Go


So I'm a single homeschooling mom, I'm running a health counseling business, I'm making and selling body care, plus I work  part time at a small health food store. I think it's fair to say that I'm busy. 

I love my life and all that I'm doing. It sure takes a lot of healthy fuel to keep me going though. In order to go at this hectic pace, I also need to make time to slow down. Guess what...I have great energy, but I'm not super woman. I need to rest and so do you. I really try to get in bed by no later than 9-9:30pm. I don't always succeed, but I'm mostly consistent. I'm an early riser, and true sleep is important.

I often wish I had two of me and that there were two extra hours stuck in the morning somewhere, but that's not the case. Getting good rest makes a huge difference. Guard your sleep time.

So back to the fuel, you might ask, what are you eating? The answer is I'm eating as simply as possible. I thought I'd give you a list of foods to have prepared or just ready produce so you can just grab them or foods easily warmed.

Foods to Prepare

Cook 2-3 cups of brown rice each week to use for just sides, to throw in soups, and to make veggie patties.

Make 2-3 cups of quinoa to have on hand to throw in salads or soups, for veggies patties, or bars.

Soak and cook 2 cups beans and legumes, alternate kinds each week to use for different dishes, throw them in salad, soup, tacos, or purée them for homemade refried beans. They are inexpensive and full of fiber.

Take the time 1-2 times a month to keep homemade organic chicken stock in the fridge. Really the nutritional benefits are immense, and you can make a quick soup if it's ready as well as cook veggies or grains in it. Then use the chicken meat...won't use it all in one week? Freeze some and take it out later.

Bake 6-8 sweet potatoes weekly. You would believe how these come in handy! They are awesome just to grab to warm up at work and eat. You can also mash the flesh though for various recipes. Leave a few unbaked too for roasting or sautéing.

Hard boil around 8-10 eggs and you will have a portable meal. There is super nutrition in farm fresh free range eggs. 

Prepare a pot of soup each week in the winter. Soup is wonderfully portable in a thermos. 

Having muffins and breakfast bars made and keeping them in the freezer is huge! Find a recipe you like and be diligent to make it. Make the toaster oven your friend with these.

Homemade trail mix is awesome. I keep washable snack bags available to fill with my own variety of trail mix.

Produce I Keep Around

Slice up organic carrots. If they are ready you can just eat them as is, roast or sauté them, throw into soup, or lightly steam them. Kids love carrots!

Chop up a head of broccoli and keep it ready. No time to make a salad? Grab some broccoli and home dressing, toss it in a mason jar along with a hard boiled egg-score! This makes for easy steaming too.

Chopped kale is a life saver. I get mine at the farmers market, 3 big bags for $5. It's not pre-chopped, of course I have to do it, but this superfood is worth it. Throw it in smoothies, soups, veggie patties, sautes, and of course salads. 

Grab a ripe avocado and a spoon as you run out the door! Seriously, it's full of healthy fat, fiber, and protein; the things are perfect. 

Organic apples are wonderful for snacking and chopping up for salads.

Always have plenty of onions, green onions, and garlic cloves around. They don't cost much and add tremendous flavor.

Prepared Foods/Condiments I Like To Have On Hand

Trader Joes or Kirkland Brand Organic Peanut Butter
Raw Almond Butter
Sunflower Seed Butter
Ziyad Tahini
Organic Maple Syrup
Coconut Sugar
Himalayan and Celtic Salts
Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos
Coconut Secret Coconut Nectar
Y & S Raw Honey
Local Raw Unfiltered Honey
Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar
Bionutrae Organic Strained Tomatoes
Jar or Two of 365 or Eden
Organic Apple Sauce
Native Forest Whole Canned Organic Coconut Milk
Spices: Ground Organic Garlic, Turmeric, Cinnamon, Ginger, Chili, Cardamom
Dried Herbs: Organic Black Pepper, Basil, Oregano, Dill, Rosemary, Minced Onion, Parsley

Nuts/Seeds/Dried Foods

Raw Cashews
Raw Almonds
Raw Sesame Seeds
Raw Pecans
Raw Walnuts
Raw Pumpkin Seeds
Medjool Dates
Raisins
Hempseeds
Flaxseeds
Chia Seeds
Sulfur-free Sundried Tomatoes Not In Oil
Quinoa
Brown Rice
Organic Brown Rice Pasta
Goji Berries
Shredded Organic Unsweetened Coconut (Flakes too)
Almond Meal
Cashew Meal

So there is a peek into my pantry and refrigerator. I hope the prepared food ideas were helpful. Be healthy, be blessed, be a good steward!

No comments:

Post a Comment