Saturday, January 3, 2015

Easy Homemade Green Salsa


On New Years Eve afternoon I was out grocery shopping preparing for a small get together at my home the next day. While on the phone with a friend talking about menu, I was undecided about salsa choices due to tomatoes being out of season locally. I was very dissatisfied with my store bought options. Due to my frustration making my own was the only route that made sense. After all you cannot throw a Mexican themed event without good salsa!

I'd watched my sons' grandma make it a gazillion times, so I knew it was simple enough. I opted for green salsa because of its ease and that good tomatillos were in abundance at the market. I'd put my own twist on it. Normally she makes spicy salsa, and I'm not a spicy food kind of girl. To the recommendation of my friend, I broiled the tomatillos. I cannot believe I never made green salsa myself before! I'd made red tons of times. Green over the years has actually become my preference due to flavor, so enjoy!

Ingredients: 

1 LB Tomatillos
1/2 Small to Medium Red Onion
1 1/2 Cups Frozen Organic Green Bell Peppers
2 Large Garlic Cloves
1 Tbsp Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
1 Whole Green Onion 
2 Tbsp Fresh Organic Lime Juice
1 1/2 Tsp Celtic Sea Salt
Pinch Of Organic Dried Cayenne (add more if you like heat)
1/2 Cup Filtered Water

Directions:

Broil the tomatillos on a baking sheet, each side 4 minutes, a little black is good for flavor

Sauté the onion, bell peppers, and garlic for 2-4 minutes in the coconut oil

Add everything to a blender, don't over blend, a little chunky is good

Be creative and top different foods with the salsa. Below is my favorite dish with it.


Tomatillos are so good for you! They have a ton of magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium...so super mineral rich.  They are a good source of folate as well.

Do you have a favorite salsa recipe or another way to use tomatillos? Share it below! 

Helping you to be a good steward of your health!~Marie A. Ligorria, HHC



No comments:

Post a Comment