Thursday, February 19, 2015

Wild Smoked Salmon & Kale with Mustard Sauce (Five Things to Do with Quinoa-5)



So it's been a long day, you're exhausted, you managed to hold down most of your healthy habits today, but now it's dinner time. The fridge is kind of empty, you're starving, and while normally a frozen pizza makes you want to turn up your nose, it's currently inviting.

Don't do it! I have a really fast healthy dinner recipe for you! It will taste gourmet, won't break the bank, and there's minimal prep involved! I hope you love it! You can add to it and make it more elaborate if you want, but you're tired remember :) Chances are you have some these foods at home already.

Making Healthy Easy

Do yourself a favor and keep a few bags of organic frozen veggies at home, a fairly good assortment. Yes, I'm all about fresh and local, but ya know it just doesn't always happen. 

Believe it or not recently I made a new discovery at the grocery store that totally made my day, it's the simple things. So I'm sure other markets do this, nonetheless I'm a Whole Foods shopper. So in the seafood section they sell wild smoked salmon trimmings. So ya know those perfectly shaped fillets they sell for way too much money in the glass seafood case, well there are still really good pieces of salmon left that didn't make it on the fillet. So they shave it off, already trimmed from skin, no bones, and broken up into pieces. It's inexpensive and makes healthy recipes really simple! I hate touching fish! Can you hear me singing?!!! How did I not see this before??? It's like a dream come true for me! Yes, I know....and.....oh surely there are odd things that make your day too!





On to more ingredients I like to let live in my pantry or fridge, like mustard. So while I know how to make mustard, I also keep good, gluten free bottled mustard around in case I run out of my homemade version. Yes, there is a such thing as gluten free mustard, and it's not just marketing. Vinegar in mustard can be derived from wheat, so read your labels. 
Mustard can make a meal a party, therefore keep it close. 



Another item that I let hang out in my pantry is organic lemon juice. Now I adore freshly squeezed lemon juice, but in case I run out of fresh lemons, it's there. Lemon juice, much like mustard can send flavors over the roof in a dish.



The Recipe: Wild Smoked Salmon & Kale with Mustard Sauce

Okay, I won't keep you in suspense any longer. 

This should serve 1-2 people and you can easily increase it.

Ingredients:

1 Package of Wild Smoked Salmon Trimmings
1 1/2 Cups Frozen Organic Kale
1/2 Tsp Organic Garlic Powder
1-2 Tbsp Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
1-2 Tbsp Organic Lemon Juice
4-6 Squirts Organic GF Mustard
1/4 Tsp Celtic Salt
1 Cup Organic Quinoa (dry, uncooked)

Directions:

Now if you happen to have left over quinoa already cooked, that just eliminates a step. If you don't have any made, cook it.

Take out a large skillet
First cook the kale in the oil for 1-2 minutes on low to medium heat
Next put in the salmon, cook the for 3-4 minutes, stirring
Add the lemon juice, salt, mustard, and garlic powder, stir well

At this point I would either throw my cooked quinoa into the skillet with everything to warm it up or I'd put the just cooked quinoa into a bowl and dress the top with the salmon and kale.

You could use any frozen green for this you want and even add capers or butternut squash, your options are endless. Regardless you will think you got take out from a fancy restaurant and not spent anything close to it had it been from one.

If you try it, let me know! Be healthy and blessed! Helping you to be a good steward of your health!~Marie A. Ligorria, HHC

For more healthy recipes and help with balance of mind, body, and spirit check out my health counseling programs today!






No comments:

Post a Comment